Women Leaders in Philanthropy
The vision of the Women Leaders in Philanthropy is to empower, cultivate, and recognize women as philanthropic leaders and volunteers within our communities. Our goals are to enhance philanthropy of the Oak Park-River Forest Community Foundation by reinforcing bonds and social networking; providing philanthropic education for the next generation of women leaders; and supporting social impact organizations and causes.
Honoring women and supported by women, Women Leaders in Philanthropy has raised a significant portion of the Foundation's charitable endowment. Today, their philanthropic impact continues and has grown with the number of women who have joined together to make a difference. Women Leaders in Philanthropy Fund supports causes selected annually by members.
- Provide mental health interventions and/or preventative services specifically for youth, which address increases in anxiety and depression, substance abuse, lack of connection and familial support, and/or the effects of poverty.
Grantee: Children’s Research Triangle (Trauma Treatment Program), Youth Crossroads (Community Counselor)
- Provide housing security and/or rental assistance.
Grantee: Housing Forward (Bridge for Youth)
- Provide food security and combat hunger.
Grantee: Quinn Center of St. Eulalia (Hunger Ministry)
- Provide childcare opportunities for children from at-risk populations to mitigate academic and economic losses for families returning to work.
Grantee: Oak Park River Forest Day Nursery (Early Childhood Education – Financial Assistance to Families), West Cook YMCA (The Year-Round Youth Development Program and Services)
- Strengthen counseling and support networks for mental health promotion and suicide prevention, for any population.
Grantee: Thrive Counseling Center (Suicide Awareness & Prevention Workshops for Area Youth)
Leadership Team comprised of elected Chair and Vice Chair. Decisions will be based on consensus of member and member at large voting.
To become a Women Leader in Philanthropy, a woman must donate a minimum of $5,000 (installments permitted). An initial gift of $1,000 can also be made, with a pledge to donate a minimum of an additional $1,000 in each of the following four years. Women can sponsor another woman to become a new member. Existing members can become Sustaining Members through annual donations of a suggested minimum of $1,000.