What's the Big Idea?
Big ideas. Big change. Starting now.
Have you ever said to a friend, neighbor, co-worker or classmate, "What this community really needs is … "?
Are you looking for seed funding to launch your idea for community change?
Big Idea online with Laura Maychruk
A giving group established by the Oak Park-River Forest Community Foundation, Entrepreneur Leaders in Philanthropy (ELP) will award an annual seed grant of $50,000 from the ELP Fund for a transformative idea. Through a competitive process, the aim is to make our community the best place to live, work and grow.
2017 Big Idea Winner Selected!
Felony Franks & Rescue Foundation wins the $50,000 grant!
Meet the Big Idea 2017 Finalists:
Contemporary Visual Arts Hub
Develop a constellation of vibrant, intellectual and culturally significant visual art spaces for a large and diverse public through permanent installations and pop-up storefronts.
100% College Ready
Ensure that 100% of OPRF students are college ready by 2020 through mentoring and coaching.
Felony Franks & Rescue
Address criminal recidivism and transform the lives of ex-offenders by providing holistic, customized, workforce-based training coupled with recruitment of companies willing to hire and train.
Lawns To Gardens
Incentivize and encourage hundreds of lawn owners to convert their water intensive, ecologically noncontributing green expanses into toxic-free edible gardens and landscapes
Promote enduring age diversity in Oak Park/River Forest and impact medium-income elders who do not qualify for Medicaid yet cannot afford hourly-based care by providing affordable in-home services.
Join the Entrepreneur Leaders in Philanthropy
Who's Behind the BIG IDEA?
as of December 7, 2017
- Kent Barnett, ClientLoyalty
- Jamil Bou Saab, Terra Engineering
- Mark Coe, CTI Meeeting Technology
- Greg Coplan,
Benjamin Crane, Coplan & Crane
- Erica Cuneen, Beyond Properties
- Bruce Elegant, Rush Oak Park Hospital
- Tom Engoren, Seaway Supply Co.
- Andy Gagliardo, Gagliardo Realty Associates
- Tom Garvey, Founder of ICOMM Consulting, Inc.
- Bill Gee
- Dan Haley and Dawn Ferencak, Wednesday Journal
- Ken Hunt, VASCO
- Ron and Kristen Halverson, Halverson Group
- Robert Hauck, Huntingon Learning Center
- Meg and Gil Herman
- Keith Huizinga, on behalf of Kinslahger Brewing Co.
- Timothy Hunnewell, Truegivers
- Tom Irvin, Guggenheim Partners
- Aaron J Lebovitz, PhD
- James Lencioni, Aria Group Architects
- Scott Moller, Moller Family Foundation
- Marty Noll, Community Bank of Oak Park & River Forest
- Joseph Ottolino, West Suburban Medical Center
- Robert Pasin, Radio Flyer www.radioflyer.com
- Bob Planek and Bill Planek, Oak Park Apartments
- Rowan Richards, Assembilize www.assembilize.com
- Gabriela Rodil, Gabriela Rodil
- Kristi Ross, dough, inc. | TastyTrade
- Mary Jo and Stephen Schuler, Good Heart, Work Smart Foundation
- Jason Smith and Rachel Weaver, The Book Table
- Jeff Weissglass
- Pamela Whitehead, P&P Ltd Construction
- Cathy Yen, OPRF Chamber of Commerce